Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tough Talk - Speaking Their Language


Like you may have read in the Profile for this blog, part of the reason for doing this was to answer the question "Are there any real LDS cops out there?"  The person asking the question said he knew some LDS people, but just couldn't see them being capable of working in law enforcement.  One of the "evidences" he cited was he couldn't imagine them talking tough or using some of the foul language so prevalent in law enforcement.

So do you have to swear to be a cop?  And if you're LDS, and you swear out on the streets, are you a hypocrite or 'less of a member' for doing so?

Well... here are my thoughts.  I don't think you have to swear to be a cop.  But sometimes you have to speak to the people you deal with in a language they understand.  J. Golden Kimball once told of trying to drive mules.  He said, "you can't drive mules if you can't swear. It's the only language they understand."  When dealing with human jack-asses, it's often the same.  You have to speak to them in a language they understand.  

When dealing with some crack-head, gangbanger, if you say "sir, please step out of the vehicle", he'll just sit there like you're speaking in Chinese or something.  But when you say "Get your #%$ out of the car before I $%%*&*&^^#", he understands and gets out of the car with his hands up.

I was at the Salt Lake County jail picking up one of their prisoners to bring him to court in our county.  While I was waiting, I noticed a female corrections officer open a holding cell to get one of the prisoners ready for transport.  She was about 5'2" and probably weighed about 105 pounds soaking wet while wearing full body armor.  She said to the guy, "stand up and face the wall".  He didn't move.  In a split second, she unleashed, "Get your a#$ off the floor before I stomp your f#@@! head"  He jumped right up and complied.

So I try very hard to be professional and use clean language.  But I agree with Brother Kimball, when dealing with asses, you have to speak a language they understand.

And if that makes me less of a Latter-day Saint, I'll let God be the judge of that.... as for the rest of you, whoever is without sin among you can cast stones at me!



No comments:

Post a Comment