Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Cops are Real People - Believe it or not!

Most people think cops are all the same.  We're not.  In fact, I've never worked with, or even seen at any organization, a more diverse group of people that I find in law enforcement.  Who becomes cops?

1. Family business - Law enforcement seems to be one of those careers that spans many generations.  Go to a graduation at any law enforcement academy, anywhere in the nation, and you will see families.  The job just runs in some families.  Grandpa was a cop, dad is a cop, and many of the sons and daughters are cops.... and married to cops.  It's all they know.  I think this is cool.... as long as each individual is doing it because that's what they want to do.  I don't think someone should do this job if it's just to make dad or grandpa proud.  But, for better or worse, that's what gets a lot of people into this line of work.  The people from cop families may or may not fit into the categories below.

2. Social Workers With Guns - A lot of people really buy into the idea of community service.  They want to make the world a better place.  They want to help people.  They want to make a difference.  I know some cops who I refer to as "social workers with guns"... and the only reason they carry a gun is because it's required.  These cops see the good in everyone, even the bad guys, and like to reason with and talk to people.  They believe any problem can be solved simply by talking about it.  They want to help people.

3. Idealistic - "To Protect & To Serve" - I think to some degree we all fit into this category.  Cops in this category view their work as service to others and the community at large.  They differ from the social workers above in that they simply see it as a job that needs to be done.  They may not have an optimistic outlook on humanity.  It's just a service that society needs.  It's kind of like being a garbage man.  Someone has to deal with the problem people and keep order in society.

4. Warriors - The warriors confront and hunt evil.  They are not so much concerned about violations of traffic laws or city ordinances.  Sure, they might pull over a lot of cars, but it's a means to the end of finding real criminals rather than enforcing traffic laws.  They hate people who bully, threaten and harm others.  They are interested in protecting people and prefer to spend their time on the job hunting bad guys.  They are ready for a fight.

5. Thugs - Unfortunately there are some bad cops out there.  They're thugs that gravitate to this job because of the power and authority that comes along with it.  They use their position to harass and intimidate people.  They like having power over people and it makes them feel good to give people a hard time.  Lots of people seem to think all cops must be power hungry thugs.  I don't believe this is true.  I think the thugs make up a very small minority in law enforcement, but they make people mad and make all the rest of us look bad.

6. Pretty Boys - These guys love the uniform, the brass buttons, and shiny belts.  They love driving around in a police car waving at people and being seen.  They don't really care much about doing the job.  They just care about looking cool and being respected as a public figure.

There are probably other categories of cops and reasons people become cops.  I've just listed the mains ones that I see.  But behind the uniform, badge and gun is a real person - in many ways a person just like you.  We laugh, love, hurt, cry (well maybe not cry), get tired, depressed, excited, nervous and scared.  At the end of the day, or night, we're just people - fellow travelers on this journey we call life.

So what am I?  Well... I'm not a Pretty Boy.  I'm not big on fancy uniforms and accouterments.  I'm all about function.  I want clothing and gear that I can work in.  I want to look professional, but I'm very pragmatic when it comes to clothing - it must be functional.  I'd say I'm an Idealistic Warrior.  I'm about 90% warrior and 10% idealistic.  I absolutely hate violent criminals.  I have a strong, innate sense of protection and want to stop bad people from doing the things they do.  I also recognize that law enforcement is simply a job that needs to be done.  I don't think we could have an orderly society without law enforcement.  I'm not much of a social worker. My solution to your life problems is to give you some place to sit and think about your messed up life - namely the county jail.  I'm a first generation cop, so it's not a family business for me either.  I guess it's just what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment